Fall time can also be a very special time for infants and toddlers as they discover just what makes the season so different from summer. They look outside and explore with a sense of wonder and curiosity and are eager to learn. The following are some ideas that can help you teach your infants/toddlers about this beautiful time of year.
Read books with Fall-time themes
Reading aloud to infants/ toddlers is a great way to capture their attention and teach them new things. There are many fall time board books to choose from.
Here are a few good ones:
• Duck & Goose Find a Pumpkin by Tad Hills
• The Busy Little Squirrel by Nancy Safari’s
• Welcome Fall by Jill Ackerman
• Colors by Michael Blake
• My Pumpkin by Lily Karr
Infants and toddlers love to be outside where they can explore and learn about nature and the seasons. So…play, rake leaves, pick apples, and have fun!
• Talk to your toddler about the seasonal changes and why they need to dress differently when they go outside.
• Visit a pumpkin patch and let your child help choose a pumpkin.
• Let your baby watch while you rake leaves or pick apples.
• Place your baby in a pile of leaves and let the exploration begin while you supervise closely.
• Let your toddler help rake leaves using a child-sized rake.
• Let your toddler help place leaves in a bag.
• Kick, jump and roll in a pile of leaves with your toddler.
• Pick up apples that have fallen from trees and place them in a basket.
• Place pumpkins and gourds in a basket for your children to explore.
• Talk about the color, size, shape and texture of pumpkins, gourds and apples.
• Paint pumpkins using non-toxic paint. If your babies are too young, let them watch you paint and then place the pumpkin where they can see it.
• Carve a pumpkin and let your toddlers help scoop pumpkin seeds out of it.
• Use ½ an apple and dip it in paint, and then stamp it on to a piece of paper or surface. Call it “apple art.”
• Allow your toddlers to wash apples, pumpkins or gourds.
• Let your child participate in the kitchen while you cook with pumpkins and apples. They will love helping, smelling and tasting!!
Enjoy the season with your busy little ones!!