Green Team - acting like rocks, trees, and woodland creatures
MCH Green Team Mission Statement:
Here at MCH we are environmental pioneers, dedicated to conservation. By working together, we will educate and create an awareness of how small choices can have a huge impact on our Earth. Our efforts focus on reducing garbage, litter and pollution as well as conserving natural resources.
We are ambassadors for our Earth.
Because MCH is surrounded by nature, protected forests, protected wetlands and has an onsite, organic garden, the students wanted to create a group focused on the preservation of not only our serene, 5-acre campus but the community and world around us. In the Fall of 2016, the students created the MCH Green Team and recruited elementary students to join their cause.
Building off the momentum of the Green Hero Award (won in 2016 by MCH Garden Specialist, Katherine Stewart,) being named a Green Ribbon School in 2016 and winning a Whole Kids grant from the Whole Kids Foundations (sponsored by Whole Foods), the MCH Green Team is focused on making a reduced global footprint and empowering MCH students with tools and information to make a difference.
Why is the MCH Green Team important to you?
"I represent the MCH Green Team because I feel passionate about environmental awareness." – MCH Green Team member, age 10
"The MCH Green Team is important to our school because it will help us realize how much garbage, recycling and compost. If we don't help the Earth we will have too many landfills and pollution." - MCH Green Team member, age 9
"I represent the MCH Green Team because I care a lot about the environment and I think the Green Team is a phenomenal idea. It is an honor to be a part of it."
- MCH Green Team member, age 10
"I feel great [about representing the MCH Green Team]. Because I know this is a lot of responsibility and I like that level of responsibility."
- MCH Green Team member, age 9
"The MCH Green Team is important because it helps kids conserve energy and other important power sources. It helps reduce global warming which lead to a happy Earth." - MCH Green Team member, age 11
Why should we recycle and compost?
"So the Earth stays safe and the compost and recycle can be used again."
– MCH Green Team member, age 9 and ¾
"We should recycle and compost to help our Earth have less things on the landfill."
- MCH Green Team member, age 11
MCH Green Team Facts & Information:
1. The United States has 4.5 percent of the world's population yet consumes over 25 percent of the world's oil.
-U.S. Energy Information Admin and Census Bureau
2. One computer left on 24 hours a day uses between $65 and $115 annually and releases 850-1,500 pounds of carbon dioxide into the air.
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
3. It takes 16 times more energy to make a new aluminum can than the energy involved in recycling one can.
- National Energy Foundation and the Albuquerque Public Schools Energy Conservation Rebate Program
Waste Free Wednesday
We are excited to introduce Waste Free Wednesday!! A fun and easy way to reduce your environmental impact by packing a zero waste lunch every Wednesday by using durable reusable containers instead of throw away items.
Green Team Fundraiser
The Green Team is holding a fundraiser through Eco Lunch Box, a wonderful company where you can purchase sustainably produced reusable items such as metal containers and lunchboxes. When you make a purchase using our school code, a percentage of total sales will come back to the school.
The Green Team will be collecting money through the fundraiser, spring plant sale and applying for grants to further a research project we are working on to reduce our schools environmental impact.
Please click on the link below to see all the wonderful items available!
Fundraiser ends April 19th
Enter School Code: MCH 15APRIL under special instructions when ordering
Green Team Energy Conservation Tips of the Month
1. Dress for the temperature. Layering clothes and wearing wool helps keep you warm in winter, and means you can turn your heater down.
2. Shut doors and close curtains. Heating or cooling the whole house can be expensive. Where possible, shut doors to areas you are not using and only heat or cool the rooms you spend the most time in.
Make sure your curtains or blinds seal your windows properly, and keep your curtains closed at night, and during the day when there is a heat-wave. Block draughts around doors and windows to stop air leaking out, or in.
3. Clean or change filters regularly. A dirty furnace or A/C filter will slow down air flow and make the system work harder to keep you warm or cool.